Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Hiking and Gardening

I have been taking a tone of pictures lately, if the last two posts don't show it. Here's a visual update of what I've been up to. First, last weekend I went hiking with friends in the Columbia Gorge up to some waterfalls:
From March 2009

From March 2009

From March 2009

From March 2009

Some of you may remember this post from a while back about how horrible women's clothing is. Nothing is standard. Here is an example of my perennial struggle with clothing. Aside from the fact that hiking pants are completely unflattering, this image shows my problem with sleeves. What I am wearing here is two long sleeved shirts, size medium. Notice how the white shirt's sleeves are approximately 8 inches longer than those of the black shirt. The black shirt's sleeves don't come down to my wrist, while the white shirt's sleeves cover up my fingers completely when it's not scrunched up. It just makes me wonder if size standardization is too much to ask for in the modern, industrialized world:
From March 2009

Tonight, I started my first seedlings for spring!
From Planting

The image below shows my super organized system for figuring out what the heck I planted in each pod. As you can see, half of this flat is empty because it turns out I didn't throw away most of my empty packets last year and so when I made my plan this year, I expected to have one heck of a lot more seeds than I have. The empty spots will probably be filled in by sweet peas, which I can never plant enough of.
From Planting

1 comment:

Senia said...

I just got new hiking boots...may I tag along your awesome hiking trips?

Yikes! Sorry about the clothes, I feel your pain :)

ANd great planting system...super organized! I'd just throw the seeds and see what grows...guess that's why my garden is dead :(